Monday, June 9, 2014

London Gin Club

Over a week in and I'm still LOVING London! This past weekend I tagged along with some friends to an epic birthday party gin tasting. You heard me right.

We all marched over to a tiny little hole in the wall spot; The Star at Night in central London. We headed down the lower level that turned into a gorgeous white cave.


Diane and I grabbed a seat at the head of the table and poured over the menu deciding what to order while the rest of the group arrived. When I say this place is known for it's gin, I mean it. That's ALL they serve! 


After very little deliberation, we all decided to go with the gin tasting menu. A £50 menu of 8 different types of gin accompanied with garnishes, tonic, and big goblets filled with ice. How could we go wrong?



Out came the gin! We sniffed every flavor but couldn't tell much of difference from them. They all smelled like gin.



Next came the goblets to start the tasting.


And finally, our server expertly educated us all on what garnish went with each gin and how to proceed, right before he dropped (and shattered) two of the goblets. Maybe he had his own gin tasting right before.


Dave was the first brave soul to try out the gin. He went with the "liqueur" sample, garnished with a lemon, and it was a good choice.





Haha, it's much better than this picture makes it look!


Next up was me. I went with the "spice."



Garnished with a little plum I rubbed all around the rim.


Here we go!


A blurry view of my thumbs up approval! Though not as good as Dave's.


Last up on our end of the table was Diane. She went with the floral garnished with a strawberry. Brilliant choice!




A much classier reaction that either Dave or myself. Kudos, Diane!


 We continued the night away with the rest of our tasting. It was amazing how different each one really was. I thought I would like the sweeter more citrusy flavors, but the aged and liqueur were actually some of may favorites. I never would have guessed. We finally ended up at nearby Chipotle for a     last minute dinner. A wonderful night in my new city!





No comments:

Post a Comment