Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Yabba Dabba Do

I often find that cooking for one can restrict me from experimenting in the kitchen. So with a snowy Chicago Saturday, I invited a few friends over to try my hand at flank steak with chimichurri sauce. Time to mix things up.

Really, the snow never stops.


First things first, I picked up some tulips to distract us all from the weather. 


Then, I swung by The Butcher & Larder for a Fred Flintstone size flank steak. This butcher shop was pricey but offers local and sustainable meat that was well worth it. I mixed up a garlic marinade then popped it in the fridge for a few hours.





While the steak was in the fridge, I got busy making the chimichurri sauce. It's a gorgeous green concoction from fresh cilantro, parsley, oregano and garlic. A few whirls around the food processor and it's ready to go.




Look how stunning that sauce is! I've been putting the leftovers on top of everything from salads to eggs. Yum.




Around 7 friends began to arrive and that's where the real fun started. My lovely friend, Grace, brought all the fixings for shrimp spring rolls. She laid out the assembly line and taught us how to roll them like pros. Well, maybe there were a few oddly shaped rolls but they were all delicious!






Success!




Now it was time for the main event, steak! I broiled each side of the steak for about 5 minutes then seared it on the stovetop for a final touch.


I let it rest for about 5 minutes while we refilled on wine. And then started slicing away. Somehow this Fred Flintstone sized steak got demolished pretty quickly.




I'd say it was a successful night. I will definitely whip this dish up again. It was shockingly easy.



No comments:

Post a Comment