Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Funny Little Sayings


Since I moved to London, I've heard A LOT of new sayings. Some words just mean different things here and some sayings are just strange. I wanted to collect a few here and share them with you.

Pants= Underwear. I need to stop saying 'cute pants.' It doesn't come out right. They say trousers instead.

Instead of saying "What's up" or "How are you?," Londoners keep asking me "You alright?" At first I thought I was scowling all the time or looked tired. Nope, they are just saying hey.

Check out counters at the store are called "tills."

You don't "top off" a drink, you "top up."

I've been tripped up a few times at the grocery store. Cilantro = Coriander. Zucchini= Courgette. Eggplant = Aubergine.

Obviously soccer is football here, but they also drop the s in 'sports.' As in,  "I love sport."

One of my favorite new terms is "cheeky." It's used in a million ways and each time cracks me up. As I write this a yogurt (spelled here yoghurt) commercial came on and the girl says "chocolate sprinkles? Cheeky." I love it.

Perhaps not a "saying," but something new here, you need to hail buses. As in, stick out your arm and wave down that number 25 even if you are standing directly under the bus sign or it might pass. you. by. Speaking from experience here.

There are some of the more common words you may have heard too:
Bathroom = Toilet or Loo, Elevator = Lift,  Cookie = Biscuit, Subway = Tube, Like = Fancy, Bucks = Quid, Hot/Attractive = Fit, Sneakers = Trainers, Sweater = Jumper

People will often say "I had a laugh," if they had a good time or want to have a good time.

As you can imagine, this list keeps growing daily. I feel like a little kid who keeps asking "what does that mean?"








No comments:

Post a Comment