Thursday, January 23, 2014

13 Years

Yesterday marked 13 years that my mom passed away from breast cancer. It's always a strange day and I'm never sure how it will go. I usually take off from work and try to do something that I think we would have enjoyed together. She was a person full of life and adventure, which means I try and make the day fun and break away from routines.

This year it turned out to be one of the better ones.

Nordstrom contacted me a month back offering a session with a personal stylist along with a gift card to spend on anything I liked. While I have a pretty strong opinion when it comes to my personal style, I figured this would be a great way to spend the 22nd.

One of my favorite memories of my mom was her picking me up from fourth grade in the middle of the day for a surprise shopping trip. It was unexpected and amazing. She had a casual style with a hint of boldness. She always encouraged me to push the boundaries of my comfort zone when it came to fashion and life. It's fascinating to think how small events in our lives can have such large influences.

But back to Nordstrom! I scheduled an 11 AM appointment with the goal of getting some distressed jeans and maxi dresses for my upcoming spa vacation in Arizona. I walked in to the typically bustling Michigan Ave Nordstrom, to find it empty as could be. Perhaps the snow and 0 degree temps had something to do with that.



I headed upstairs to meet my stylist, Ryauna. She greeted me with a room full of warm weather maxis, brightly hued blouses and distressed denim. Off to a good start.


I'll admit not everything on the hangers caught my eye, but I dove in with glee. (And don't worry, I didn't get everything here!)

First up was this amazing Vince Camuto maxi. The iPhone photos aren't doing it any favors, but trust me on this. It's a keeper.


I didn't love the white DVF shift dress (I need a more defined waist), but fell in love with this Kendra Scott statement necklace. I can honestly say I would never have picked this up on my own. I usually go for brighter colors, but this nude stone was stunning.


Next up, I tried on some of the distressed denim. As with most women, jeans can be tough for me to find the right fit. Ry and I were amazed that the styles she selected fit like a glove!

First up were a skinny distressed boyfriend jean by Joe's. They give off that relaxed yet chic feel. A definite change from my dark wash skinnies.


I also tried a pair of Current Elliott distressed jeans. They were on sale and I couldn't find them on the website. The top is actually a hot pink lace and sleeveless top by Halogen. A nice pop of color for a dreary Chicago day.


Ry also pulled a dark wash of distressed jeans from a French line called Frame Denim. I LOVED them and this picture again does them no justice. They are incredibly chic with a bit of edge. I cannot wait to get them back from the tailor!




White denim is something I've always wanted to wear, but am terrified I'll get them filthy. I'm wearing Paige jeans and a cute polka dot button-down by Topshop.



Thanks, Ry! I had a great time!


After all that shopping I was starving. So I headed across the street to the newly opened, Eataly. It's usually jam-packed with people and 45 minute waits for a table. It was my lucky day and there was barely a soul around.


I sat down to enjoy a great glass of wine. I'm not a Chardonnay fan (don't like that oaky flavor), but this bottle had the faintest hints of oak. I should have bought one to take home in their wine shop.



I treated myself to freshly baked bread and olive oil (a very American take on Italy, when I lived in Venice, Italians would tease us for doing this).


And the main event: Scallops! Over a fennel salad with a blood orange reduction. I quickly cleared my plate.


Perfect afternoon! I hopped into a cab to finish up my day with a fresh new manicure at my local nail spot. I then settled in with Netflix while the snow kept on coming down outside. I think my mom would have loved spending this day together.


No comments:

Post a Comment