Sunday, November 3, 2013

Crazy Feta Dip

I'm a big fan of bringing my lunch to work since I never have time to go outside to grab something. It's certainly a wallet, and waist, friendly option to make something delicious at home. In the spirit of healthy living I try to make a lot of salads, but find they can quickly veer towards boring if you're not careful.

My secret to making any salad amazing... crazy feta dip! I had something like it at a restaurant once and experimented with it at home.

Everyone I share it with seems to love it, so I'm going to share it with you all too!

Ingredients:
1 block of feta cheese (not the crumbled kind)
1 lemon
1 jalapeño
2-3 cloves of roasted garlic
drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


First, grab your jalapeño and garlic. Drizzle a little olive oil on each and pop it in the oven to roast. I usually put the broiler on and leave both in for about 20 minutes.


While that's in the oven, I move over to the feta block and start slicing it up.



Scoop that in to a bowl and zest that lemon whole. This part is my favorite because I never have enough reasons to use my microplane. After you have zested away, squeeze the full lemon over the feta.

When the jalapeno and garlic are slightly blackened, roughly chop both up and add to the mix.


Grab a fork and start mashing. I drizzle in a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. You want the consistency to be a bit chunky but not big ole crumbles. I know, so scientific here.



That's it! Easiest thing to make. You can serve it with crackers or pita as a dip, but I like to add it to my salad. It gives it so much flavor with just a few simple ingredients. Over the past 4 months, I've had a weekly batch sitting in my fridge. It just makes everything better. Trust me.


2 comments:

  1. what are the other items in that salad, it looks so good. Is that chicken? If so, how is it prepared?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually salmon baked with italian dressing, red pepper flakes, oregano and salt/pepper. Throw a little quinoa and tomatoes on top for a little more crunch.

      Delete